Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Schu-letz-tzu Update

Sunday Funday

And....we're back in Japan with the Carp for our fourth year. I think I have failed to mention in the past that everything here in Japan is pronounced with 3 syllables, ALWAYS! So, what used to be Schultz, 1 syllable, is actually pronounced Schu-letz-tzu, with 3 syllables. This is not all, people, in order for our English to be understood here, you must also add an "o" sound at the end of everything. So, what used to be hamburger, is now hamburgo, city is now citeo, left is now lefto, and so forth. I have come to terms with the changes, but my kids are just utterly confused.

Now, English is definitely their first and most prominent language, however, they also know Spanish, Hebrew, and bits of Japanese. I am hoping this will all be a learning experience for them, but, the words are often mixed when speaking. Yesterday, Jordyn (who speaks with a Japanese accent by the way) asked me for a snacko, por favor and rambled on and on in what I think was Japanese. Jake who pronounces the Japanese baseball players' names better than they do, can count in all the languages, randomly choosing which one to count in: ichi, ni, tres, four, cinco, shesh, hach, eight, etc. Zoe is just learning to speak, so I am hoping I can keep her on the English track.

Jordy the goof ball!

So, here we are, same apartment, same school, and same Starbucks. Jake and Jordyn are now the eldest in their school, and love having their friends in Japan back. Zoe just started going to the YMCA a few days ago, and absolutely loves it. After the first day of school, the teachers' observation was that Zoe will be great in class and has no problem eating. That's my girl! We have some new American families here with us this year, and we love them. There are 10 kids between our 4 families, so we are always busy!

The weather just started getting warm, which means the frizz will make its debut soon, and the rain has made plenty of appearances. It is such a different mind set having to walk everywhere, but luckily for me, I can use this as my "exercise". Mike's team is doing well, which makes playing a lot more fun! We aren't expecting too many visitors this year, but if you're interested in coming, Zoe's got some room in her crib!

She is definitely up to something!

Dinner at our favorite Mexican joint

I had to document this!

This kid eats, breathes, and dreams, baseball!

Riding the streetcar with my angel

I know this has been more of a lesson on Japanese language and culture, but hey, you would have never known that 3 syllables is a must and the letter "o" has never been more important!

Sayonara, Shalom, Adios, and Goodbye....for now!

5 comments:

Dustin and Carrie..... said...

I think it's amazing that your kids know parts of all those different languages!! So cool:-)

Johanna said...

My children are the most gorgeous, delicious creatures on this planet... for real talk.
Miss you all.
Tell Zoline to move over because Auntie Jojo is going to come and cuddle soon (i hope!!).

The best "o" story in Japan was when Alex ordered a tequila sunrise but they didnt understand until he said "tequila-o sunrise-o," haha- so good!

Jessie said...

aw, everbody looks so good-o. Love to you, mama!

Coffeebean's Dailies said...

Hi Sarah, I was at a friends blog and hit that next blog button and came across your blog. I quickly went through it and I just loved seeing pics of your family! This is really nice. I am an American married to an Arab and living in the Middle East! All the best to your beautiful family and continued success with your hubby's career in Japan!

Anonymous said...

Great blog- really enjoyed reading it. Have bookmarked you and will check back regular. Please feel free to take a look at my blog...

Self Moving
One Way Truck Rental
One Way Van Rental
Major Moving Companies
Florida Moving Companies
Auto Shipping Companies
New York Moving Companies
Moving Companies
Truck Rental
Orlando Movers
Laminate Flooring